Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wings

I was driving listening to Sirius radio, 70's on 7, daydreaming in traffic. A song by Wings came on and flashback!

The summer of '76...



My dad sold Coppertone suntan lotion in the summer while he was in dental school. He set up and serviced Coppertone displays in stores. His territory went all the way to Panama Beach along the Gulf coast. My mom, baby sis Stephanie, and I would tag along and hang out in the hotel pools while Dad worked. My Aunt Janie mailed us matching string bikinis to wear. Steph and I were the belles of the pool! We swam in our floaties and ate chips and ice cream sandwiches from the concession stand,  while mom worked on her Coppertone tan. Paul McCartney and Wings sang "Silly Love Songs" hourly on the radio. I knew every word! Ten years later, we still had bottles of Coppertone sun lotion in the bathroom cabinet when I was in high school! Funny how a song can trigger a memory like that.

I made these cards with wings in mind. Butterflies and dragonflies make me think of summer and how the days just flutter by.

[caption id="attachment_2090" align="alignnone" width="3264"] Stamp images, stencil and card stock from Club Scrap.[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_2091" align="alignnone" width="3264"] Watercolor background created using Tim Holtz distress inks. Images stamped with distress ink and dusted with Perfect Pearls. Sentiment stamped and embossed with Ranger pirate gold embossing powder.[/caption]

 

 



 

[caption id="attachment_2094" align="alignnone" width="3264"] Watercolor background created using distress inks and Club Scrap butterfly stencil. Gold Faber Castell Texture Luxe paste was spread over the second layer of the stencil to add texture and shine.[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_2095" align="alignnone" width="3264"] The sentiment was stamped with Perfect Medium and brushed with a combination of Perfect Pearls powders.[/caption]

"The tan lines will fade, but the memories last forever."~Anonymous

Wendy

Challenges entered:

Club Scrap PSL Week 4

Addicted to Stamps and More #205 Photoinspiration 

challenge2b2523205

Casology Week Week 209 Watercolor

Cards in Envy Wings Card Challenge

The Mixed Media Card Challenge August 2016

august2016challenge

Muse Challenge #177

20160723_101712

 

 

 

 

30 comments:

  1. These are amazing - and interesting techniques too! I love your summer story, and the bikinis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow gorgeous cards! So many details and technique. I started following you to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable photo of you and your sister! And an adorable memory!! Gorgeous cards! I love the details and technique you used. So pretty! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, these are spectacular! That gold butterfly is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about your memories and great pic! Your cards are gorgeous and perfect for the Mixed Media Card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lovey your summer story and what a fabulous way to document it too, but celebrating it with art. Your cards are magnificent, bright, have great movement and are perfect for the "wings" challenge at Cards in Envy - appreciate your entry. Brought me joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful butterfly! I love your story, songs can so often remind you of times gone by, I find scents can sometimes trigger memories too. Lovely art work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning gold butterfly that looks beautiful with the background colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your summer memories - looks like you and I are about the same age (although I never looked that good in a bikini! lol!) Love the elegance of the gold paste on the butterfly card - it makes it really rich feeling against the coloured background! So glad you joined us at Muse this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how memories are triggered?! What a lovely one for you. And wow, I love the gold paste of your butterfly against the vibrant background colours.
    Thanks so much for playing along at Muse, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cards. The backgrounds are gorgeous and the touches of gold make everything look so rich. I also enjoyed reading about your childhood memories. Glad you could join us at ATSM. All the very best. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful piece of artwork! I love your vibrant colours and the richness of the gold!
    Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet childhood memories! Love the gold on the butterflies--so pretty. Thank you for sharing with us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous butterfly! Love the gold against the colorful background! Thanks for sharing your childhood memories! Amazing the things we remember!
    Thanks so much for joining us over at CASology! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely background and a gorgeous butterfly! Thanks so much for playing along with our Cards in Envy Wings Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, I really enjoyed your trip down Memory Lane as introduction to your FABULOUS cards. Club Scrap has the best stencils and you certainly showcased two of them. Beautiful cards you have created. I've enjoyed this look at your blog, now I'm going to check out another entry of yours WordPress recommends I take a look at.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Leslie! I enjoyed writing that one. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your story of Silly Love Songs and the memory it brought back. Your cards are so beautiful! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. loved reading your story!!!! your cards are very pretty - perfect for the MMCC challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!