Monday, January 14, 2019

Let's Talk Valentine's Day


My grandparents were very frugal people. They grew up during the depression and lived through WW2 and food rationing. They kept everything! Memaw even kept a book of ration tickets with her box of keepsakes. I think she kept every card we ever gave her and she would thoughtfully "re-gift" them to us on special occasions. On my parents' 25th wedding anniversary, she gave them the card they had given to her and Papaw on their 25th anniversary. Last weekend I cleaned my craft room and found a folder of treasures that belonged to my Memaw that I didn't know I had.









There are some sentimental things in here including her high school "newspaper" from 1944 and a newspaper clipping of her engagement announcement to Papaw in 1947!













She started writing a blog at 87 years old and posted her first blog post in September 2012. She even had a Facebook page. I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I pulled up her blog and started reading some of her posts. Her writing is short, sweet and to the point...just like she was in real life!









I knew Memaw and Papaw's anniversary date was coming up, but I forgot the exact date. I just knew she would have posted something about it on her blog, and she did. I decided to incorporate her writing into a project, especially after I saw the Taylormadecards4u Passport to Love digital kit!









I found this picture of my grandparents from when they were first married to go with her story. They look so young. Memaw once said that the first time she saw my Papaw she thought he looked like a little boy who had just had a bath!









They always had roses growing in their yard and climbing roses on the front porch. Even after Papaw died, and she went to live with my aunt and uncle, Memaw had a rose garden. Now I know why.





"So with roses you get flowers every day. They adorn your garden and make beautiful bouquets for your table. It's like getting a gift every day and it's practical. "

Virginia Chapman, Ridges of Lee County blog, February 15, 2013




I'm so glad she left her thoughts for us to read! It's like getting a gift every day. I like that.





Thanks so much for stopping by! Be sure to check out what the rest of the design team has created over on the Taylormadecards4u blog and you can find the Passport to Love digital kit in Monica Taylor's Etsy store here.









P.S. We'll have another fun retro Valentine release on January 25!


17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this beautiful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. And I'm so impressed that your Grandma was blogging at 87. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. There wasn't much she couldn't do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, let's! Because spring is right after Valentine's Day! Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special project, I love that she started blogging in her 80s and such a lovely story to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great treasures here! What a great tribute and creative use of the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 😂 You must be ready to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply outstanding! So full of sensitivity and emotions! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, not so much. I have a big job to get through right now. I'll be ready when spring comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treasure you've created, Wendy! Fantastic way to use the gorgeous kit!
    Did you actually call your Grandmother Memaw? I'd never heard that until Big Bang Theory! lol
    It's not a common term in my area! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the sweetest projects I've seen. What an incredible project and tribute to your grandparents. Such an incredible way to honor them and their love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing tribute to your grandparents!! I absolutely love your project!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you used your precious bit and pieces from your grandma, so special. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!