Saturday, September 16, 2017

Daisy, Daisy!

When you think of a daisy,  you think of a small white round flower with a round yellow center, right?

white-daisy-wallpaper-colors-34692080-1440-900

Well, here's some fun facts about daisies...

  • A single daisy flower is actually made up of two separate flowers. The center petals are one flower surrounded by the “rays” of another flower.

  • Daisies grow all year round.

  • Daisy leaves are edible. Some people add them to their salads.

  • The Old English word meant “day’s eye” because daisy flowers only opened during the daytime.


“Daisy” also became a slang word in the early 1800s...

  • It meant the best or most marvelous. Kind of similar to saying that something is the cream of the crop.

  • Innocence, especially with white daisies with yellow or pale centers.

  • Purity – also shown by daisies that are as white as possible.

  • New beginnings, which is why they are often found in bouquets for new mothers or as gifts for children.

  • True love – because each daisy flower is really two flowers blended together in harmony.

  • That the sender can keep a secret. Keeping a secret is one way a person can exhibit that they truly love another.


I totally get why daisies are the friendliest flowers!

CIC 423 Floral JFF Daisy 006E

Today starts a new theme challenge at Cupcake Inspirations...FLORAL!

CIC 423 Inspiration photo

The sponsor for this week is Birch Press Designs and they are generously providing a $20 gift certificate to our randomly chosen winner!



 

Check out their new fall 2017 catalog, they have some fabulous layering dies!

https://issuu.com/memoryboxinc/docs/2017_summer_catalog

I saw some wild daisies on the side of the road when I was riding my bike last week, so they were the first flower to come to mind when I was making my card. I love this quote from the movie You've Got Mail!

Daisy sentiment 4x6

I made a .png digital file to share. Just right-click on the sentiment below and save to your computer to print on card stock!

Daisy Sentiment

I typed the quote in Photoshop Elements using the Bakery font and printed on Club Scrap® card stock. I stamped the background using the JFF Rubber Stamps cluster of stalks stamp image using Memento Bamboo (darker green) and New Sprout (lighter green) inks. I stamped the JFF Rubber Stamps cone daisies stamp and arranged them over the stalks with my Stamp-a-ma-jig. I stamped the cone daisies again on specialty Spectrum Noir card stock in Memento Cocoa ink and colored them with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. I fussy cut them out and adhered over the stamped background images, so that the cute scribbly stems would show. It took a while, but I find fussy cutting relaxing!

CIC 423 Floral JFF Daisy 004E

As always, I add a little sparkle with Stickles!

CIC 423 Floral JFF Daisy 006E2

Check out what the rest of the Design Team Sweeties have created and be sure to link up your creation on the Cupcake Inspirations blog!

Charlotte

Christine

Debbie

EK

Kim

Me!

Do more of what makes you happy!

wendy-signature

18 comments:

  1. Fascinating facts about beautiful flowers. I love this card, so friendly and cheery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I thought some of those facts were pretty interesting too, especially that they are two flowers blended together, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, wow this daisy card is so beautiful! Love the sentiment and that font too. Everyone did such a fabulous project. Have a great weekend!
    -Sandy Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandy! I'm lucky to be a part of such a talented group of gals! Have a great weekend yourself! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh wow Wendy this card is absolutely beautiful. I loved all the information about Daisy's. It has to be one of my favorite flowers =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Mine too! I had no idea you can eat them! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea either lol.. I think I would rather look at their beauty than eat them haha but its a cool fact =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like a little kid...I'm gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy! I just had to pop over here to see where that sentiment stamp came from and I'm so sad but completely intrigued by the fact that you did it on your computer!! That movie is an old favorite of mine as well as daisy flowers. I've never used Photoshop before so I guess I'll just continue admiring your card wishing that I could make one just like it. Great job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, I'm glad you like it! I'll send you a .png file and you can just print on card stock and cut it out! My email is wendy.bellino@gmail.com, send me your email and I'll fix it up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just updated my post and added the sentiment to share and download. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab facts I never knew and a wonderful cheery card. Love it. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do think daisies are the friendliest flower. I'm very fond of the movie, your piece and the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad Cindy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!