Friday, November 25, 2016

It's Christmas Thyme!

Welcome to the last stop on the Club Scrap Christmas Thyme blog hop! If you've arrived here from Hetty's blog,  you're in the right spot. If you'd like to start at the beginning head over to Club Scrap and see what Karen has created for you, then grab your favorite beverage and enjoy the hop!

I tried not to be THAT person, the one with POPD (perfect ornament placement disorder), but I became her. (Shaking my head...)

opd

On a positive note, I still have the ornaments my kids made in daycare-tiny handprint Santas, paper plate angels, thumbprint reindeer, wreath Christmas photos. My tree is a memory tree, no decorator tree for me. I can tell you everything about each ornament that I carefully pack and unpack each year. I save everything! I get that from my mom, she still has ornaments we made in the 70's!  My mom started collecting her Dept. 56 Christmas Village when we were kids. By the time I was in high school, the village had spread to a nice sized city with a suburb! It is so much fun to look at when she has it all out. Mom and Dad started giving Chris and I pieces of the Dickens Village the first Christmas we were married.  Thanksgiving Day was my 26th wedding anniversary. Our little village has grown too over the years! It is usually the first thing I put together when I decorate for Christmas. Of course my kids always wanted to help (a few broken pieces here and there), but it wasn't anything a little glue couldn't fix!

The Club Scrap Christmas Thyme kit reminds me of my Dickens Village, I'm drawn to that vintage look! Remember these?!

il_570xn-569102742_goao

My grandparents always had these little paper advent calendars on the coffee table during Christmas. We loved looking at these and opening all the little hidden compartments! When I saw the Christmas Thyme digital kit house image, I knew what I wanted to make...

025rz

Using Photoshop Elements(PSE) I enlarged the house and the Christmas tree images to fit on 12x12 paper and sent it off to be printed at Persnickety Prints.

capture

christmas-tree-advent

Then I chose some Christmas images to resize and strategically place inside each window pane. I printed these on card stock.

advent-calendar-images-set

Using a craft knife I cut the window panes to open to reveal the images I would adhere behind them.

019ez

032rz

And a little surprise for day 25...Christmas Day!

[caption id="attachment_4119" align="alignnone" width="800"]031rz Christmas gnome from the Gnome for the Holidays Digital kit. Also available in the I'll Be Gnome for Christmas UM/Stencil set. [/caption]

From our "gnome" to yours, it's Christmas Thyme!

wendy-signature

 

 

30 comments:

  1. Wendy, that is some super idea to make the house into an advent calendar. Love the peek behind the windos and a super idea for the digital kit.
    Wonderfully constructed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant project. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea and so special to see an advent calendar like this again. Reminds me of my childhood. We used to stick these on windows so that when the doors were opened the image would shine! Thank you for this Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigosh, Wendy! What a creative and cool idea. Love it...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I never would have thought of that...too stinkin cute! Love it Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did that too! I'll have to show my nieces that trick when they visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Wendy! I LOVE it! It required quite a bit of foresight and planning to get your enlarged print completed for the project, but it was worth the effort. What a fabulous piece. --Tricia, proud recipient of her mom's entire Dpt. 56 village.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! The Persnickety Prints came on pearlized paper, it's beautiful! What a treasure Tricia! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too suffer from POPD! haha. Persnickety Prints is my favorite print company! Nicely done. Great use of the digi kit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative Wendi! Love the advent calendar idea! Sadly my Mom saves nothing and so all the houses she had in her village went to the thrift store with her letting us know. I still have the train ornaments we bought for my Dad - I was able to save those after he passed away. They have moving trains on each ornament. That's what I set up each year on my mantel. Have a great day and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Donna! Awwwww, my grandfather gave his 1950's cabinet radio away in a garage sale. My dad was devastated! So glad you were able to rescue some memories, sounds like they are family treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Great job - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely DARLING!!!! LOVE your advent calendar!!! Beautiful job!
    hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this idea, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely idea! And I love the little gnome inside the door. Christmas memories are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, Wendy what a fabulous idea to enlarge the cottage and make this into an advent calendar, very special and so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a clever idea! I admire creative people who just "know" what they'll do with something when they see it. You really did a fabulous job. (And I love the door-greeter gnome!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Kelly! Truth be told, the advent calendars were on my mind and there were 24 window panes. Bingo!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!