Saturday, February 4, 2017

STOP and Smell the Roses!

My grandfather always had roses in his garden. Red ones, and they smelled good too! He also planted climbing roses that grew up around the front porch. (My dad is the handsome teenager on the right!)

westwood-1960s

When I was little, I would sit on the porch and pop off the thorns on the stems and he would get so mad! He always threatened to "pop" me, but he only did that once...He said he kept a switch on top of the refrigerator. When my sister and I would argue or get in trouble, he would point up there and say, "I'll pop you with that switch if you don't behave!" There wasn't really a switch up there, but we believed it! I don't remember what I did to get "spanked", but I remember the aftermath. It didn't hurt anything but my feelings and I remember throwing myself on the bed in the guestroom and carrying on for a LONG time. Poor Papaw...he kept saying he was sorry and patted my back trying to get me to quit crying. I must have been such a little brat because I milked that for awhile AND I told Memaw when she got home! He would playfully "pinch" us after that, then pat us and say, "You know Papaw loves you!" Good grief we were spoiled!

These American Beauties remind my of Papaw's roses...

[caption id="attachment_5218" align="aligncenter" width="519"]smell-the-roses-2 JFF Rubber Stamps American Beauties stamp image. Colored with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers (Pinks and Greenson Spectrum Noir Ultra Smooth Premium Cardstock and backed with Club Scrap® cardstock from the Paradise collection. Crystal and Lime Stickles and for sparkle. Memento Ink in Rose Bud for the inked edges.[/caption]

UPS just delivered my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers Wednesday and I couldn't wait to try them out. I watched a ton of tutorials on blending, tested them out on scratch paper and jumped right in with a no-line coloring technique. With a little more practice, this might become my new favorite medium!

smell-the-roses-1

I designed my sentiment in Photoshop Elements and printed on the Spectrum Noir card stock. I saved the .png file so that I can print and repeat as needed.

[caption id="attachment_5221" align="aligncenter" width="987"]stop-and-smell-the-roses-screen-capture Jury Duty, Beyond the Mountains and Bigelow Rules fonts.[/caption]

I was worried at first, but I didn't get any smudging when I colored over the lettering with the markers. I love how the Rose Bud ink matches the markers!

smell-the-roses-3
The American Beauties stamp is available in the JFF online store and it needs a good home. Not only is it beautiful, it can be any color you want!


BLOG CANDY ALERT!

 (Enter the challenge to win a gift certificate!)

february-challenge-jff-inspiration-image

CLICK HERE to join the challenge and see more inspiration from the design team!
Do more of what makes you happy!wendy-signaturejff-design-team-logo

 

Challenges entered:Spectrum Noir Anything Goes Challenge

 

3 comments:

  1. The flowers have come out pretty! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those roses are so striking! Great coloring and blending, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I forgot how relaxing it is to color!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!