Saturday, July 2, 2016

Life is like a bowl full of cherries.

Cherries make me think of my grandparents. My Papaw LOVED cherries...fresh cherries (especially Bing cherries), cherry pie, cherry ice cream, and chocolate covered cherries! They took me to Europe when I was 17 and Papaw would always recruit me to help find a street vendor who sold fresh cherries on our adventures. I was introduced to author Erma Bombeck by my Memaw who had a dog eared copy of " If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" next to her living room chair. Erma's articles were featured in most of the magazines Memaw subscribed to: Good Housekeeping  Reader's Digest, Family Circle, Redbook, McCall's, and even Teen magazine. (Most of them I read cover to cover because I was bored, since those were the days before unlimited cable TV and the internet!) I didn't appreciate her humor then, but almost 40 years later (25 years of marriage and two grown children) I think she was HILARIOUS!

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rD1wMpn8KY]

The quote on this card makes me think of Memaw's kitchen. Like Erma, she was a 1950's housewife but she was pretty prolific with a pen and paper (or an Ipad)! She started writing a blog in her 80's. (Click here to read her blog). Her stories were short and sweet, but leave you with a clear vision of her memories as well as her meaning behind the post!

[caption id="attachment_1930" align="alignnone" width="3648"]Card 007E Club Scrap card stock and stamp images.[/caption]

[gallery ids="1928,1929" type="slideshow"]

I'll leave you with one of my favorite Erma quotes...

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart."

Wendy

Challenges entered:

[caption id="attachment_1950" align="alignnone" width="297"]cherry2bbomb Curtain Call July 1 Challenge[/caption]

fms2bfinal2b243-001

Freshly Made Sketches #243

[caption id="attachment_1948" align="alignnone" width="307"]07162bfruitcolors House of Cards July Challenge: Fruit, Drink, and/or Colors[/caption]

cs_hdr_logo

Club Scrap 07-16 Tool Challenge TEMPLATES

 

15 comments:

  1. What wonderful stories. I'm so glad you shared these memories and that they inspired your beautiful card. Thanks for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, Not only do I love your fabulous card but the Erma Bombeck video. She was a gem, my Mom loved her and so did I (oh, do I) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm glad you like it! I'm on a mission to find that dog eared book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video clip made me laugh. I hadn't heard of this lady before but she was so funny. Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy! Love the cherry card! Erma Bombeck is one of my all time favorite humorists. I always read her column in the paper. I have one I saved about women in the military being allowed to wear pearl earrings - it is hilarious! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 😂 I'd love to read that! I'll have to look for it online. Thanks Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful card with a wonderful story. Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this! Fabulous take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great border and love the cherries! Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card! I'm not sure how I missed this post, but glad I found it. Erma's a fave in our family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading your blog! Great card and super sentiment!
    Thank you for sharing with House of Cards!
    Susan
    DT for HOC
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! I do my best to reply, but if you don't get an email response from me, be sure to check your blog settings and that you have included your email address for replies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!